If you have loose, sagging skin in your abdominal area, a tummy tuck can help you get a tighter, more toned midsection. There are three main approaches to the tummy tuck procedure: full, extended and mini. Learn about these different tummy tuck procedures and which one would be best for your body and treatment goals.
Full Tummy Tuck
A full tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is designed to address your entire abdomen, both above and below the navel. It’s the most popular type of tummy tuck and an ideal option if you want to:
- Repair damaged abdominal wall muscles after pregnancy
- Tighten the entire abdominal region following significant weight loss
- Have a smoother, firmer midsection overall
During your full tummy tuck procedure, Dr. Kleto will make one incision from hip to hip and a second around your belly button. This allows him to reach your entire abdomen and reposition your belly button for more natural-looking results. Many of our patients combine a traditional tummy tuck with liposuction for the added benefit of fat reduction.
Extended Tummy Tuck
Like a fully tummy tuck, an extended tummy tuck addresses your entire abdominal region. In addition, it targets your flanks, hips and lower back. You may be a good candidate for an extended tummy tuck if you have drooping skin in your stomach, as well as one or more of the following:
- Prominent love handles
- Weak lower back muscles
- Folds of skin and excess fat in your flanks, upper hips and lower back
Since an extended tummy tuck tightens areas beyond your stomach, the surgical incision will extend to the back of your hips. While this does mean a longer incision, it also produces more dramatic results. Dr. Kleto will ensure your incision is made low enough that scarring will not be visible in swimsuits and low-rise pants.
Mini Tummy Tuck
A mini tummy tuck, or partial abdominoplasty, is designed for patients who are only looking to address falling or bulging skin below the belly button. If you’re looking to further contour your midsection to your ideal aesthetic, a mini tummy tuck can help you remove a small amount of extra skin for beautiful results.
Unlike a standard tummy tuck, a mini tummy tuck requires a much smaller incision. For this reason, it’s often referred to as a scarless tummy tuck. Since a mini tummy tuck is less invasive than other techniques, it also has a faster recovery period.
Choosing a Tummy Tuck for Your Body
There are many factors to think about before choosing a tummy tuck procedure. In addition to having a full understanding of your cosmetic goals, you should consider the following:
- Your physical health: While you need to be in good general health before any type of surgery, full and extended tummy tucks tend to involve a more extensive surgical procedure and recovery, making these options better suited to individuals in excellent health. During your initial consultation, Dr. Kleto will ask questions about your medical history to determine what type of tummy tuck is appropriate for you.
- Your lifestyle: Since full and extended tummy tucks are more comprehensive procedures, they require a longer rest period before exercise and strenuous activities can be resumed. Regardless of what type of tummy tuck you choose, it’s important that you adhere to all of Dr. Kleto’s post-operative instructions so you can heal properly and enjoy your new figure.
- Your budget: A mini tummy tuck tends to be less expensive than a full or extended tummy tuck, but you shouldn’t just pick the cheapest procedure. We have several financing options to make paying for your surgery easier.
Dr. Kleto can help you balance these factors with what’s best for your body and health.
Schedule a Tummy Tuck Consultation in Knoxville, TN
Call 877-907-0747 to schedule a tummy tuck consultation with Dr. Kleto. We serve patients in Knoxville, Sevierville and nearby areas of Tennessee.