Woman Almost Dies From DIY Plastic Surgery

Board Certified Plastic Surgery - Knoxville, TennesseeThe importance of having a plastic surgeon that is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery has been made even more apparent by this story. Apryl Brown of Florida made the tragic decision to receive silicone injections in her buttocks from a non-board certified person.

Brown went to the woman’s house and received these silicone injections in order to change the silhouette of her buttocks. The injections became infected and Brown nearly lost her life to a staph infection. In order to save Brown’s life, doctors had to amputate her hands, feet, and the infected tissue around her buttocks.

Brown is a part of a problem that the American Board of Plastic Surgery is seeing all too often. Patients believe they can purchase dermal fillers or other injectables and perform the procedures themselves.

There can be several problems that arise from DIY plastic surgery including:

  • Not really knowing where the product comes from
  • Not being sure what the product really is
  • Using a product that is not FDA-approved
  • Not knowing how to administer the product
  • Risk of infection, loss of limbs, and death

Our Knoxville plastic surgeon, Dr. Dean Kleto is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery along with several other organizations. Our team wishes to remind you how important it is to have your cosmetic surgery procedures done by a certified plastic surgeon. If you are interested in a consultation, please contact Dr. Dean Kleto today. Call us at (865) 366-4755.


* All Indicated Fields Must Be Completed.
Please Include Non-Medical Questions And Correspondence Only.


Monday-Thursday: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.
Friday: 9:00a.m.- 12:00p.m.

Accessibility Toolbar