As more Americans follow the lead of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition to boost physical activity and promote weight loss, Knoxville Plastic Surgeon Dr. Dean Kleto is also responding to the increased demand for body contouring procedures.
Even celebrity cook and TV host Rachael Ray is a member of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition (PCFSN), which has put out a public call to action to impress upon Americans the importance of exercise and healthy eating.
Why the call the action? According to the PCFSN:
- Less than 5 percent of adults participate in 30 minutes of physical activity each day.
- Only one in three adults receive the recommended amount of physical activity each week.
- More than 80 percent of adults do not meet the guidelines for both aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities, and more than 80 percent of adolescents do not do enough aerobic physical activity to meet the guidelines for youth.
- More than 78 million American adults and 12.5 million children and adolescents are obese.
The list of costs and consequences to personal health of obesity, as well as the public impact, is staggering.
But when people do commit to improving their diet and exercise regimen, it is not uncommon for them to confront an issue or challenge with their physique that cannot be addressed with those measures alone.
The need for body contouring is even greater among people who undergo gastric bypass surgery, according to National Center for Biotechnology Information. Its research concluded that:
- Nearly two-thirds of gastric bypass surgery patients desire body contouring after that procedure.
- Many of the people who do undergo body contouring after gastric bypass surgery often get more than one cosmetic surgery procedure done at the same time.
- The most common body contouring procedures after gastric bypass surgery are abdominoplasties and lower body lifts.
Whether you’ve recently undergone weight loss or simply have a nagging cosmetic issue that would benefit from treatment by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, please contact Dr. Kleto’s office online or call (865) 366-4755 to schedule an appointment with our Knoxville cosmetic and plastic surgery practice.